Checkout – a tenant’s checklist
- The interior of the property should be left clean and in good condition, fair wear and tear expected. This includes all the appliances such as cooker, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine etc. which should be empty and cleaned out (fridge/freezer defrosted). Any leftover food, cleaning materials and personal belongings must be disposed of and not left in cupboards.
- All the carpets should be professionally cleaned and a receipt obtained and provided to Swoffers as proof.
- The tenant must meet the requirements for cleanliness, maintenance and tenant-like behaviour laid down in the tenancy agreement.
- The tenant should re-read and familiarise themselves with the inventory, which they or their representative signed when they moved in and to ensure that, prior to any inspection by Swoffers, all obligations have been met.
- The garden, including borders and hedges, should be in a similar state of tidiness to when the tenant first moved into the property.
- Please arrange for all meters to be read.
- Please ensure that all service meters are returned to the landlord’s name, and not disconnected. The final accounts must be sent direct to your new address and you should ensure that you provide this to Guernsey Water, Guernsey Electricity, Guernsey Gas, Sewage department, Cable & Wireless etc. as appropriate.
- You should contact Guernsey Post to arrange for your mail to be redirected to your new address. Swoffers, the landlord or future tenants cannot be responsible for forwarding mail to you. Any mail received will be returned to the post office and returned to sender.
- All items listed on the inventory should be left in the same rooms as on the inventory and in clean condition.
- All personal items no longer required must be removed from the property and not left out in bin bags for collection. Only the normal household refuse will be collected by the parish on the normal collection day.
- Please notify Cable and Wireless Guernsey to finalise payment of the telephone service
- Ensure that your bank has been instructed to cancel your standing order for the rent
- Should the standing order not be cancelled and monies require refunding we reserve the right to charge an administration fee of £25 for this service.
Please note that, after completion of the check out, Swoffers is required to take possession of all keys to the property. It is therefore imperative that all items and possessions belonging to the tenant have already been removed before the check out.
The obligations of the tenant in respect of the property will not be discharged until the checking out process has been completed and any issues arising thereon have been resolved to the satisfaction of ALL parties.
Your deposit will be returned in full providing Swoffers and the landlord are satisfied with the condition of the property, rent paid and that all outstanding issues have been resolved.
Useful contact numbers
Swoffers Property Management Department 721757
Cable & Wireless Guernsey Limited 700700
Guernsey Electricity Limited 200700
Out of Office Hours 245828
Freephone 0800 5870 285
Guernsey Gas Limited 724811
States Water Board 724552
Out of Office Hours 264073
States Sewage Department 245938
(Please note: if your property does not have mains drainage you will need to contact the Sewage Department to arrange for them to empty the cesspit on a regular basis – failure to do so could result in your cesspit overflowing and blocking the drains)
Emergency Plumber John de la Mare 07781 158588
Emergency Electrician Stuart Tucker (Guernsey Electricity) 200700
J&J Electrics 07781 101 490 or 238247
Dyno Rod Plc 07781 100 101 or 723777
PLEASE TRY TO CONTACT SWOFFERS BEFORE MAKING CONTACT DIRECT – TEL 721757 or 711766
St John Ambulance & Rescue Service 725211
Fire Brigade Headquarters 724491
Housing Authority 717000
Income Tax Authority 724711
Princess Elizabeth Hospital 725241
Police Headquarters 725111
Social Security Authority 732500